I wanted to write something to honor Luke. I wanted to tell you all of the wonderful things he accomplished in his life. Honestly though I don’t know where to begin. He got his masters and started his PhD; traveled; fell in love and got married; got a puppy; went scuba diving in many different places; saw and touched a whale Shark; swam with whales in Nova Scotia; and so much more. I could go on endlessly about how kind, generous, thoughtful, loving, and caring he was. He was always there for me even when he was fighting for his own life. Luke was one of a kind.
We got married in 2018 just weeks after we closed the distance between us. It was a year earlier than we had planned but I wouldn’t have it any other way. We had planned on a vow renewal in 2019 but Unfortunately Luke had his first relapse and we had to cancel just a couple months before our ceremony. I never got a chance to show him my wedding dress, or have a first dance, or read him the vows I had written. so I want to read them now, because I know somewhere he is listening:
- I promise to tell you I love at least twice a day
- I promise to make an effort to close the cabinets and turn off the lights when I leave a room
- I promise to always kiss you goodnight
- I promise to respect you, listen to you, and to always be on your team
- I promise not to watch ahead on our favourite TV shows, as long as you promise the same
- I promise to always be your shoulder to lean on
- I promise to laugh at all your jokes, even if I’m just laughing at you
- I promise to spend the rest of my life caring for you, loving you, and being honest with you
- I love you Lukey, you are my best friend, my love, and my life
There truly are no words that can describe how much Luke meant to me and how much I miss him. He was my best friend, my husband, my biggest supporter, my partner, and the love of my life. He always knew how to make me laugh and smile. The very first thing I noticed when I saw his online profile was his smile. It melted my heart before I had even said a word to him. When we finally met in person, his hugs made me feel so safe and loved. Every single person he met in life was instantly drawn to him.
He was the best person I have ever met and there are no words I could say that could live up to how amazing he was. I love you Lukey,